Friday, December 12, 2008

Do it Your Way Or Else You Won't Be Yourself

What do you feel when you're told that you're wrong? Don't do it this way, you have to do it as someone else did to get what you want, which is probably what the others want for you.

Actually I'm board. Why does everyone give himself the right to ask people to do what he believes is right. What about the other person? Is he given the chance to think what he wants and how he wants to achieve it?

Examples are many. I have a friend who is a housewife and she doesn't have children. However, she is so satisfied with her life. She reads a lot, learns sewing and does lots of other activities that she likes to do. Everybody else is blaming her. You know that staff of "You have to work to make your life useful", "You are trapped at home", "Your mind will get frozen and you won't know what's going outside" etc.

No one ever asked her how she enjoys her time at home? No one ever thought that it is her own free life choice; she is highly satisfied with it. This is her way of life, even if it doesn't agree with most of us.

This drives us to the conclusion that what satisfies me doesn't necessary satisfy others. We have to look for our way in our own way to be satisfied. Even if, we may have some regrets, it is fair enough that we did it our own way.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not telling you to discard others' advice. We have to ask for advice, but at the end we have our own life and decisions that may be positively affected by others' advice without drifting from the course we planned for ourselves.

"When you see others doing something that brings great success, you might want to follow what they do. If you also love doing what they are doing, then this is great for you. But what if you hate doing it? How well do you think it’s going to work for you? You might find some success with it if you keep working harder and harder, but it’s not going to make you happy. You’re not going to have a sense ofsatisfaction each time you complete such an activity. It will probably just leave you drained.", from the article "Real Success Comes from Doing it Your Way".

Now I'll let you with an extract from Frank Sinatra's "I did it My Way" that summarizes the whole thing:

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way
I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing
To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way,
"Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way"For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way!
Yes, it was my way

No comments:

Post a Comment